Wave Hill Public Garden in the Bronx
I journeyed to the Bronx last week to visit Wave Hill, a public garden located on the riverside. It took me 2 hours to get there from Brooklyn via the J, 1, and 2 trains, and then a bus to the garden. Once there, it felt worlds away from the crowded city streets of Manhattan.
I'd heard about Wave Hill on the internet and was keen on checking it out myself. The property sits on 28 acres, and is easy to cover the entire space in an afternoon. There are loads of garden areas to take in, my favorites being the herb and flower gardens, and the aquatic garden. There are also a few hidden gazebos that you can get to from foot paths.
Wave Hill has a cafe where you can recharge and take a breather, as well as an art gallery. If you're more of the adventurous type, there are even some hiking trails that snake around the property, so wear some sneakers! There are also some large lawn areas for picnicking, and balconies that overlook the river and bridge in Upper Manhattan.
Here's everything you need to know about visiting:
- $8 admission, $4 for students
- Click for hours of operation (seasonal)
- Free shuttle busses take you from the subway to the garden
- Cafe, gift shop and art gallery all available to peruse
- Hiking trails as well as resting areas
- All the plants are labeled so you know exactly what you are viewing
- Nursery and greenhouses open to the public for viewing
The next time you need a few hours away from the hustle and bustle, pay a visit to this hidden gem in the Bronx. The natural world is a wonderful source inspiration. Take a minute to breathe and enjoy the greenery. It's right in our own "backyard."
Photographed by Christine Tsang